Wednesday 14 November 2012

Recount Writing- Billy Perryman


January 20th 1907
Dear Diary
My name is Billy Perryman and I am fourteen years old today. I live on Bryher in the Scilly Isles. I have a twin sister and her name is Laura Perryman.
Today started of like any other boring old day. Laura and I were milking the cows ,when Laura spotted a three masted schooner that had red masts  and a shiny coat of thick black paint. We dropped the buckets and I ran to tell father and chief. Laura ran to the top of Watch Hill to keep an eye on the schooner.
Everyone gathered around the beach to watch the race against Bryher and St Marys. The crew and I pushed the dark grey gig into the bright blue sea very nervously. Then we all hopped into the gig and the race began.  My hands were aching with pain from pushing the oars back and forwards. It looked as if St Marys were winning  but a huge wind was coming behind us and gave us a big help.St Marys lost an oar so they had to turn back. I was so pleased we won the race. Everyone was cheering for us. Chief climbed up onto the schooner and shook the captains hand. This meant there was money for everyone. We had to guide the schooner to St Marys harbour. The ship was American and it was called the General Lee. Then the party began. Everyone was pleased with Laura, even me. The cake was delicious and did not last very long. Everyone was chatting and all the children were playing outside. Laura asked could she row on the gig again. They all laughed and said what they always say ''girls don't row on the gig''. Laura ran to the hen house and cried. I felt so sorry for her. When everybody had gone home, father and I had another fight. This one was because the milk buckets were not clean enough. Father stood up and banged the table with his fist and started shouting like mad. I ran ran up to Laura and told her that father and I had another row. I said I am going to America. I know one day I will.....
By Abby Quirke

No comments:

Post a Comment